"A Constant Suicide" is the self-published, debut novel of Brian Krans. The first draft of the novel was written in November 2006, as part of National Novel Writing Month. It was released in May 2007 by Rock Town Press.

10.31.2006

I'm already cheating...

So, I'm a dirty cheat.

The contest - if that's what you want to call it - doesn't officially start until the first of the month and I've already logged 10,000 words. Some were from college. More were from a recent stint.

The whole point, for me at least, in the book-in-a-month thing is for me to finally put foot to pavement. There's been a thousand ideas I've had on my first book.

1. The Three Stooges -- True crime book about three kids who run over a guy with his own Jeep, beat, stab and drown him. Then then use his money for a trip and back to Florida. They're all tried in three separate trials at the same time, which I covered by myself. It was my first murder trial. It would have been a good book, but so far, none of the convicted teens have agreed to an interview.

2. "Veritas" -- Novel about murders that keep popping up in certain area. They keep getting worse and worse. The details of the crime keep popping up verbatim in the newspaper. It looks like the killer is a cop and spewing the details to a reporter who won't cooperate with the investigation. It's an idea I still love considering I'm a newspaper reporter. But, for some reason I can't pinpoint, I'm not ready to take up that avenue.

OK, not a thousand, but I've had more and talked them up a lot.

So, here's "A Constant Suicide." It's bits of me. It's college. It's about things people don't want to talk about. My mom has already expressed doubts she'd even read it. That doesn't matter.

I want to see it published, by myself. I'm doing the writing, the cover, everything. I'm going to hold that first copy and just stare at it. Hopefully, anyone who gets a copy will do the same after they're done reading it.

First things first, I have to write it.

This blog and this challenge will keep me motivated to keep going. I've said it before, but I'm doing it. I dare you to think otherwise.

There will be some exerpts coming soon, so you'll have to give me some honest criticism of what you think. Check back soon for the first chapter.

Don't friggin' hold back in your opinions.

I'm not going to in my writing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope that the writing doesn't drive you batty (that was supposed to be a Halloween reference). I could write a bunch of words of encourgement, but you know what needs to be done. Let me know if I can help you out at all.

Anonymous said...

Best of Luck man. Look forward to reading it all.

Anonymous said...

Can I get a puppy if the book is a success?
Bama

Unknown said...

Bama doesn't need a puppy, she already has two great sweater kittens

Anonymous said...

Yeah, sweater kittens!