"A Constant Suicide" is the self-published, debut novel of Brian Krans. The first draft of the novel was written in November 2006, as part of National Novel Writing Month. It was released in May 2007 by Rock Town Press.

8.27.2007

Anti-drug ad, circa 1987

When we're little, we're always asked what we want to be when we grow up. I've been thinking about that a lot lately, so that explains why the following is in my head.

Anytime someone asks it now, all I can recall is that anti-drug campaign commercial of a cop chasing a guy in slow motion. The voiceover says, "No one ever says, 'I want to be a junkie when I grow up.'"

I'm wondering if someone has by now. Because there has to be at least one person that has wanted to get messed up all of the time, not have a job and basically do nefarious deeds for small amounts of money to get a rock or two. One person, in the history of mankind, had to at least think that sounded like a life-calling.

One person, out of all the junkies, crackheads, stoners, wastoids, crankers, speeders and cookers, had to choose it for themselves. Sure, everyone about to be sentenced for a crime to fuel that addiction says how bad they couldn't control it and it all started with their first joint sophomore year of high school after football tryouts.

Then, before they know it, they're drinking their mom's perfume for the buzz. (Well, kids, try hand sanitizer--it's cheaper.) Then it's pissing themselves in church from sheets of blotter acid put on the Communion. Before you know it, Johnny's a junkie, trying out for Partner for a Drug-Free America commercials.

But, he wanted to be a doctor when he grew up. It was his friend--who's now a lawyer--that wanted to be the junkie.

Anyway, the moral of the story is: Sorry, Partnership for a Drug-Free America.

Someone has said, "I want to be a junkie when I grow up."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you are never going to believe this. Or maybe you will having some knowledge of my family from short conversations.
My friend and I thought those were the funniest commercials around. The other was nobody ever say "I want to group up and be a bag lady"
We did. We used it as a catch phrase answer usefull in many situations. Mostly just to catch people off guard.
Any way, oddly enough...wait for it...my younger sister was in on this inside joke as well.
Heh, you know how that is playing for the most part.
So maybe she has reached that long lost dream from the 80's.
Maybe my friend I were slackers.
Kind of brings a tear to your eye doesn't it to see people succeed in their dreams. *tear* ~sniffle~
I'm all choked up with pide right now, or maybe it's vomit.
Thank you bringing back that fond memory for me.

Dark Phoenix said...

I went searching for info on this commercial for my own blog and stumbled upon yours. I was the one who actually said that: I did want to be a junkie when I grew up. Though I've been clean for 12 yrs now, that choice and this commercial still haunts me. It's tough to be proud of sobriety when the accomplishment all comes down to - not being a junkie and being a productive member of society. That doesn't seem like too high of an expectation for a human being. Anyway, just my comment, cheers to you and your blog! :)

Unknown said...

does anyone remember the clorox ads for clean needles?

if you're going to use drugs, use clorox to clean your needles?

if so, email me a link

nimbuskid

ask jolee erotic stories said...

``I dont know. Get upstairs and I will instruct you from there.
sex stories bestiality
free xxx rated stories
sexy ballbusting stories
3d incest stories
only free lesbian sex stories
``I dont know. Get upstairs and I will instruct you from there.

Anonymous said...

I remember when these aired when I was a kid, I figured that someone had to do it, so when I was in kindergarten and they were asking everyone what they wanted to be when they grew up, my response was "a junkie".